For asthma patients 12 years of age and older... READ MORE
Take SYMBICORT exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
It’s important that you don’t miss a dose or take more doses than prescribed. SYMBICORT will not replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms.
To use SYMBICORT effectively:
2 PUFFS OF SYMBICORT
TWICE A DAY, EVERY DAY
Take 2 puffs of SYMBICORT in the morning and 2 puffs in the evening, every day
Do not take more than 4 puffs per day
Do not use more than twice a day
Your inhaler should last you 30 days if you are taking 2 puffs twice a day
Use the actuation counter to monitor your doses
Learn more about how to use the SYMBICORT inhaler
Before starting SYMBICORT, read the Instructions for Use that comes with your prescription. If you have any questions about the directions, ask your health care provider.
Preparing Your SYMBICORT Inhaler
Take your SYMBICORT inhaler out of the foil pouch and write the date on the box. If you are using your inhaler for the first time, you need to prime it.
TO PRIME YOUR INHALER:
- Hold it in the upright position as shown
- Shake your inhaler well for 5 seconds
- Remove the mouthpiece cover by squeezing gently at both sides, then pulling out
- Hold the inhaler facing away from you, and release a test spray
- Shake it again for 5 seconds and release a second test spray
If you do not use your SYMBICORT inhaler for more than 7 days or if you drop it, you will need to prime it again.
Using your SYMBICORT inhaler
Shake your inhaler well for 5 seconds. Remove the mouthpiece cover by squeezing gently at both sides, then pulling out. Check the mouthpiece for foreign objects.
Breathe out fully (exhale). Hold the inhaler up to your mouth. Place the white mouthpiece fully into your mouth and close your lips around it. Make sure that the inhaler is upright and that the opening of the mouthpiece is pointing toward the back of your throat.
Breathe in (inhale) deeply and slowly through your mouth. Press down firmly and fully on the top of the counter on the inhaler to release the medicine.
Continue to breathe in (inhale) and then hold your breath for about 10 seconds, or for as long as it is comfortable. Before you breathe out (exhale), release your finger from the top of the counter. Keep your inhaler upright and remove it from your mouth.
Shake your inhaler again for 5 seconds and repeat steps 2 to 4.
After using your SYMBICORT inhaler:
- Put the cover back on
- Rinse your mouth with water and spit it out
- Don’t swallow the water
Reading the actuation counter
The actuation counter on top of the inhaler helps to monitor the amount of medication remaining and helps you know when to refill your prescription. The arrow points to the number of inhalations, or puffs remaining. Here’s how to read it:
- After you have primed the inhaler for the first time, the counter will read either 120 or 60, depending on which size was provided to you
- Each time you release a puff from the inhaler, the counter will count down
- When the arrow gets close to 20, you will notice the beginning of the yellow zone, indicating that it is time to call for a refill
- Discard the inhaler when the arrow points to the red zone and reads zero (0), or 3 months after it is taken out of its pouch, whichever comes first
- Your inhaler may not feel empty and may continue to operate, but you will not get the right amount of medicine if you keep using it
Make Every Dose Count Every Day
Get the most from your medication by taking it exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
You can do this by:
- Keeping your inhaler in a place that will remind you to use it
- Keeping track of the number of doses of SYMBICORT remaining in your inhaler so you’ll know when to refill your prescription
- Use SYMBICORT twice a day, morning and evening
- While taking SYMBICORT, never use another medicine that contains a LABA (long-acting beta2‐adrenergic agonist)
- SYMBICORT is not, and will not replace, a rescue inhaler for symptoms that suddenly become worse. Contact your doctor if these symptoms do not improve or if they become more severe
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT USING YOUR INHALER,TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR OR CALL THE NURSE HOTLINE: 1-877-807-4466, MONDAY–FRIDAY, 8 AM–8 PM ET.
How to Clean Your SYMBICORT Inhaler
- You should clean the white mouthpiece of the SYMBICORT inhaler every 7 days
- Remove the gray mouthpiece cover by squeezing gently at both sides, then pulling out
- Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the inside and outside of the white mouthpiece
- When you are finished cleaning the mouthpiece, place the cover back over the mouthpiece
NOTE: Never put your SYMBICORT inhaler into water. Do not try to take the inhaler apart.
When to Discard Your SYMBICORT Inhaler
- Throw away SYMBICORT when the counter reads zero (0) or 3 months after you take SYMBICORT out of its foil pouch, whichever comes first
- Your SYMBICORT inhaler may not feel empty and it may continue to operate, but you will not get the right amount of medicine if you keep using it
- Never immerse the canister into water to try and determine the amount of medicine remaining (“float test”)